All activities associated with students in the professional degree program are coordinated through the College of Veterinary Medicine Office of Academic Affairs. These activities include, but are not limited to:
- Admissions advice - including transcript review and post-interview counseling for those who are not admitted.
- Assistance with financial aid, obtaining medical insurance, and access to medical care. While these services are provided by other University departments, or sources outside the University, the Academic Affairs Office actively assists veterinary medical students needing these services.
- Counseling services - counseling for both academic and personal issues is provided by the Associate Dean and by a graduate student from the department of clinical psychology. The graduate student has an office outside of the Academic Affairs office and all visits are free and confidential.
- Advice and assistance in externship and preceptorship selection.
- Career advice, resume review and job placement assistance.
- Assistance for students with disabilities (in conjunction with the AU Office of Student Access).
- Assistance for impaired students (in conjunction with the Alabama Veterinary Wellness Program).