Costs and Aid

The estimated cost of attendance for a nine-month academic year is outlined below. Although modest, these budgets are seen as adequate for the typical student. However, your general spending habits will determine your actual expenses. Please be aware that the estimated cost of attendance is higher for the third academic year when a third, summer semester is required because of the continuous year of clinical training. Students attend nine semesters during the four-year program.

ExpenseAL/KY ResidentNonresident
Tuition & Fees$29,608$50,992
Books, Supplies, & Ins.$3,716$3,716
Housing & Food$15,396$15,396
Personal Expenses$3,219$3,219

Educational costs may increase from year to year.

Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Services at Auburn University provides assistance to students who need financial aid in order to attend the university. The amount of aid granted is based on financial need and cost of attendance as determined by the university. To determine need, Auburn University uses the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which is completed online. Students seeking assistance (including scholarships) are required to complete the FAFSA. Aid programs available to professional students are limited to student loans with varying interest rates: Health Professions, Federal unsubsidized loans, and the Grad PLUS loan for graduate and professional students.

Please contact call (334) 844-2685 if you have any questions.


Alabama residents receive priority for 41 seats in each class. Auburn contracts with Kentucky for 38 seats. These students are considered to be in-state students for tuition purposes. An additional 51 non-resident students are accepted. The Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine does NOT offer admission to international students or transfer students from another College of Veterinary Medicine.

Alabama Resident: A person who is a citizen of the United States, or a resident alien, and who has resided and had habitation, home, and permanent abode in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months immediately preceding current registration is considered an Alabama Resident. In applying this regulation, “applicant” means a person applying for admission to the institution, if applicant is married or at least 19 years of age, and financially independent. Otherwise, it shall mean parent(s), or legal guardian of the student. If the parents are divorced, residence will be determined by the residency of the parent to whom the court has granted custody.

No person who moves to Alabama for the primary purpose of attending college shall be considered to have demonstrated intent to establish domicile in the state of Alabama, and will generally not be considered eligible for classification as a resident student. For additional information or to ask specific questions, contact the Auburn University Registrar’s Office at

Kentucky Residents: Please contact your Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) before October 1 to document your Kentucky residency. If you have questions, please contact the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education (KCPE) at (502) 573-1555.


Scholarship opportunities are made available annually to veterinary students through the Office of Academic Affairs.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please call (334) 844-2685 or email