Out of an abundance of caution due to confirmed HPAI (bird flu) cases in the state of Alabama and resultant directives by state officials, until further notice the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine and Auburn Raptor Center will not accept any sick or injured wild birds for treatment. Precautions are being taken to protect resident and patient raptors currently housed at the center, with educational programming and scheduled tours continuing as planned.
Please do not touch or attempt to move injured, deceased or sick wild birds and do not transport the animal for treatment. In the event you or someone you know locates a deceased, injured or sick bird of any species, contact the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division at (334) 242-3469 for additional information. It is very important that the wild bird not be removed from the location at which it is found to limit the potential spread of HPAI.
The Wilford and Kate Bailey Small Animal Teaching Hospital is one of the nation’s leading medical facilities for animal health care while also providing the companion animal clinical education for future veterinarians. Named to honor the late Dr. Wilford and Cratus “Kate” Bailey, the 208,000-square-foot facility is one of the largest and most technologically advanced teaching and referral hospitals in the country.
Dr. Bailey, a 1942 graduate of the College of Veterinary Medicine, served 50 years of continuous academic and administrative service to Auburn, including serving as Auburn University’s 13th President. The Baileys practiced the highest standards in their personal and professional lives, and the hospital was named for them in recognition of their generosity, humility and kindness.
Through primary patient care and the teaching hospital’s 13 clinical services, the Bailey Small Animal Teaching Hospital provide state-of-the-art care for more than 13,000 companion animal patients per year.
The facility also houses a centralized Pharmacy, a Clinical Pathology Department, an 82-seat conference room and smaller meeting rooms as well as offices for faculty and staff.
Areas of Specialization
Appointments are required for the Bailey Small Animal Teaching Hospital. An appointment coordinator is available Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 4:30pm CST by phone at (334) 844-4690 or outside of business hours through the Online Appointment link below. Once your appointment is scheduled, print and complete the Client Information Form linked below to present upon check-in for your appointment. Please remember that this is a student teaching hospital, and the educational process does extend appointment times when compared to private practitioners.
What to Expect
The Bailey Small Animal Teaching Hospital offers access to board-certified veterinarians, veterinary residents in advanced specialist training programs, animal health technicians, patient care specialists, client service representatives, administrators and veterinary students. The team works together to provide the most advanced medical, surgical and diagnostic services to companion animal owners and referring veterinarians while delivering the highest possible standard of compassionate veterinary care and training for the next generation of veterinary practitioners and specialists. We appreciate your patience and understanding while allowing both our clinicians and future Auburn veterinarians to care for your pet.
During your visit
- Your scheduled visit to the Bailey Small Animal Teaching Hospital will begin with check-in at the reception desk and completion of necessary paperwork for new patients. Be sure to complete and bring the Client Information Form linked above.
- Once check-in is complete, you will be directed to the service’s dedicated waiting area and a veterinary technician will soon arrive to escort you and your pet to a private examination room.
- In the examination room, a 4th-year veterinary student will collect information about your pet’s history and current health before performing a physical examination.
- After the initial physical examination, the student will consult with a faculty member who will then conduct a second examination to confirm the student’s findings.
- Together, the faculty member and student will create a treatment plan for your pet and discuss next steps, costs and options with you.
Please prepare for extended appointment times in the event your pet requires further testing and/or treatment which could result in additional hours at the facility. In cases where additional treatment is needed and authorized, you will be required to sign an itemized estimate/treatment plan and pay any necessary deposits before further diagnostics or treatments are performed. (see payment information below)
Auburn/Opelika Area Accommodations
The Hotel at Auburn University – 241 S. College Street, (334) 821-8200. Discounted rates available through online reservation for owners of pets receiving treatment at the Auburn University Teaching Hospital (not available during sold out dates, graduation, home football weekends and other special events).
- Towne Place Suites by Marriott, 1117 South College Street, (334) 466-8390
- Staybridge Suites by IHG, 2061 S. College Street, (334) 591-8300
- Econo Lodge – 2145 S. College Street, (334) 826-8900
- Microtel Inn – 2174 S. College Street, (334) 826-1444
- Quality Inn – 1212 Mall Parkway, (334) 502-5020
- Home-Towne Suites – 1188 Commerce Drive, (334) 826-1123
- Crenshaw Guesthouse – 371 N. College Street, (334) 821-1131
1220 Wire Road, Auburn, Alabama 36832
Small Animal Appointments: (334) 844-4690
Emergencies: (334) 844-4690
Pharmacy: (334) 844-6023
Referral Office: (334) 844-5230
Lab Results/Patient Discharges: (334) 844-5298
Fax Number: (334) 844-6034
All fees are due at time of service. Hospitalizations require a deposit at intake equal to half of the high estimate with remaining balance due at discharge. Owners will be notified of revised estimates due to additional necessary treatments or if additional charges for lab work, etc. are incurred after discharge. Payment accepted in the form of cash, check, MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover. Contact our Billing Office at (334) 844-4690 with any questions about your bill or for CareCredit assistance.