Professor, Small Animal Surgery
Head, Department of Clinical Sciences
Director, Southeastern Raptor Center
Dr. Bellah received his DVM from Colorado State University in 1979. He completed an internship in small animal surgery at Louisiana State University in 1980 and practiced for one year in Niceville, Florida. He completed a small animal surgery residency program at the University of Tennessee in 1984 and moved to the University of Florida where he eventually became Professor of Surgery and Service Chief of the Small Animal Surgery Service. Dr. Bellah became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 1986. He has served on the ACVS Board of Regents and the ACVS Executive Committee, including serving as President in 2002. Dr. Bellah also served on the Board of Trustees for the ACVS Foundation. He is currently Professor of Small Animal Surgery at Auburn University, Department Head for the Department of Clinical Sciences, and is the Director of the Southeastern Raptor Center located on the Auburn University Campus.
Norden Award – The University of Florida
Teacher of the Year – The University of Florida
Clinician of the Year – The University of Florida
General Surgery: wound healing and re-construction; diaphragm; ear; surgical instruction; raptor surgery, rehabilitation, and care.
1. Visser M, Hespel A-M, De Swarte M, Bellah JR. Radiographic Evaluation of the Thoracic Girdle in Raptors Using a Novel Caudoventral 45° Craniodorsal Radiographic View. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (Accepted Dec, 2014).
2. Gentry J, Montgerard C, Crandall E, Cruz-Espindola C, Boothe D, Bellah J. Voriconazole Disposition After Single and Multiple, Oral Doses in Healthy, Adult Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis). Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery (GALLEY PROOFS) 2014.
3. Papazoglou LG, Ellison GW, Farese JP, Bellah JR, et.al. Fusion podoplasty for the management of chronic pedal conditions in seven dogs and one cat. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 2011:47:e199-e205.
4. Montgomery RD, Crandall EA, Bellah JR. Use of a locking compression plate as an external fixator for repair of a tarsometatarsal fracture in a Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus). Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery. 2011:25(2);119-125.
5. Bellah JR. Diaphragmatic Hernias. Compendium’s Standard of Care in Emergency Medicine and Critical Care. June 2005;7.5:1-7.
6. Fisher C*, Bellah JR. Splenic Torsion. Compendium’s Standard of Care in Emergency Medicine and Critical Care June 2005;7.5:8-12.
7. Dvorak LD**, Beaver DP, Ellison GW, Bellah JR, Mann FA. Major Glossectomy in Dogs – A Case Series and Proposed Classification System. J Amer Anim Hosp Assoc 2004:40;331-337.
8. Warzee CC**, Bellah JR, Richards D: Congenital unilateral cleft of the soft palate in six dogs. Journal of Small Animal Practice, 2001, Vol 42, 338-340.
9. Clippinger TL**, Bennett RA, Alleman AR, Ginn PE, Bellah JR. Successful removal of a thymoma by median sternotomy in a rabbit with recurrent appendicular neurofibrosarcoma JAVMA 1998:213;1140-1143.
10. Bertrand S**, Bellah JR, Ginn PE. Surgical creation of urethral intussusception for treatment of urethral incompetence in the bitch. Amer J Vet Res 1998:59;904-912.
11. Bellah JR. How and when to perform lateral and vertical ear canal resection. Veterinary Medicine June 1997:535-544.
12. Bellah JR. When should you recommend total ear canal ablation and lateral bulla osteotomy? Veterinary Medicine June 1997:544-550.
13. Lemarie RJ, Hosgood G, Read RA, Lewis DD, Bellah JR, Salisbury SK, Goldsmid S. Distant abdominal and thoracic pedicle skin flaps for treatment of distal limb skin defects. J Small Animal Pract 1995;36:255-261.
14. Calderwood-Mays MB, Bellah JR, Pohlenz-Zertuche HO. Regional collagenous nevi in three dogs: Nevus, Nodular dermatofibrosis, or something new? Veterinary Dermatology 1993;315-321.
15. Lawrence DT**, Bellah JR, Meyer DJ, Roth L. Temporary bile diversion in cats with extrahepatic bile duct obstruction. Vet Surgery 1992; 21:446-451.
16. Lawrence DT**, Bellah JR. Results of surgical management of portosystemic shunts, 21 cases, long-term bile acid challenge test results after surgical treatment of extrahepatic portocaval shunts in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1992; 11:1750-1753.
17. Shelton S**, Bellah JR, Chrisman C, McMullen D. Hypoplasia of the odontoid process and secondary. Atlantoaxial luxation in a Siamese cat. Progress Vet Neurology 1991; 2:209-211.
18. Bellah JR. Wound healing in the urinary tract. Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (Small Animal) 1989; 4:294-303.
19. Bellah JR, Robertson SR, Buergelt CL, and McGavin AD. Suspected malignant hyperthermia following halothane anesthesia in a cat. Veterinary Surgery 1989; 18:483-488.
20. Bellah JR, Whitton DL, Ellison GW, Phillips L. Surgical correction of concomitant cranial ventral abdominal wall, caudal sternal, diaphragmatic, and pericardial defects in young dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1989; 195:1722-1726.
21. Bellah JR, Bell G. Serum amylase and lipase activities after exploratory laparotomy exploration in dogs. Am J Vet Res 1989; 50:1638-1641.
22. Bellah JR, Spencer CP, Brown DJ, Whitton DL. Congenital cranioventral abdominal wall, caudal sternal, diaphragmatic, pericardial, and intracardiac defects in Cocker Spaniel littermates. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1989; 194:1741-1746.
23. Bellah JR. Use of a double hooked plate for treatment of a distal radial fracture in a dog. Veterinary Surgery 1987; 16:278-282.
24. Bellah JR. Colonic perforation after corticosteroid and surgical treatment of intervertebral disk disease in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1983; 183:1002-1003.
25. Bellah JR, Stiff ME, Russell RG. Canine Thymoma: Two case reports and review of 20 additional cases. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1983; 183:306-311.