Alfredo Sanchez, DVM, MS, DACVIM
Associate Professor, Equine Field Service
Department of Clinical Sciences
Alfredo Sanchez-Londono, DVM, graduated from graduated with the title of Medico Veterinario from Universidad de La Salle in Bogota, Colombia and earned his Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) Certification from Purdue University. While at Purdue University, he completed a combined Large Animal Medicine and Surgery internship, which was followed by a Large Animal Internal Medicine residency combined with a Master’s degree. He is Board Certified as a Large Animal Diplomate by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM). Sanchez-Londono has research interests in Equine Respiratory Diseases (IAD, EIPH, RAO), Equine Neonatology and Equine Neurology, with clinical interests in Equine Metabolic Syndrome (EMS) and Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction (PPID). His teaching experience includes Equine Dermatology, Tick Borne Diseases, Dentistry, Prepurchase Examinations, Equine Reproduction/Mare and Foal health care, and Preventative Medicine.
He worked at Tufts Veterinary Field Service in Woodstock,CT for 14 years where he was responsible for teaching fourth-year Veterinary Medicine students during their rotation in the Ambulatory service. He served as an Advisor of the Student Chapter of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, a member of the Connecticut Board of Veterinary Medicine and is currently a member of both the ACVIM’s Large Animal Internal Medicine Specialty Exam Committee and the Internal Medicine Case Report Committee. In his free time, Sanchez-Londono enjoys cycling and cooking.
- Frank, Nicholas; Hermida, Pilar; Sanchez, Alfredo; Singh, Ranee; Gradil, Carlos; Uricchio, Cassandra. Blood glucose and insulin concentrations following octreotide administration in horses with insulin dysregulation, JVIM 2017
- Coffin, D.; Causey, R.; Staniar, B.; Williams, C.; McKeever, K.; Gradil, C.; Nadeau, J.; Sanchez, A.; Lichtenwalner, A.; Biddle, A. Equine Owner Research and Education Needs To Improve Gastrointestinal Health of Their Equids, NACAA Journal, 2017
- Pacheco AP, Paradis MR, Hoffman AM, Hermida P, Sanchez A, Nadeau JA, Tufts M, Mazan MR. “Age Effects on Blood Gas, Spirometry, Airway Reactivity, and Bronchoalveolar Lavage Fluid Cytology in Clinically Healthy Horses.” J Vet Intern Med. 2014 Feb 16.
- Culture conditions for equine bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells and expression of key transcription factors during their differentiation into osteoblasts: the launch of Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology Elizabeth R A Glynn, Alfredo Sanchez Londono, Steven A Zinn, Thomas A Hoagland and Kristen E Govoni. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology, 4:40 (29 Oct 2013)
- McFarlane, Dianne; Paradis, Mary Rose; Zimmel, Dana; Sykes, Ben; Brorsen, B.; Sanchez, Alfredo; Vainio, Kati. The effect of geographic location of residence, breed and pituitary dysfunction on seasonal ACTH and α-MSH plasma concentration. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, accepted for publication November 21,2010
- Schumacher, VL, Hinckley L, Gilbert K, Risatti GR, Sanchez Londoño, A, Smyth JA. Actinomyces hyovaginalis- associated lymphadenitis in a Nubian goat. J Vet Diagnostic Investigation 2009 May 21 (3):380-4
- Sanchez A., Couetil LL., Clark SP, Ward MP. Effect of Airway Disease on Blood Gas Exchange in Racehorses. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Vol.19,No.1, 2005.
- Vemulapalli, R., Langohr IM, Sanchez A. et al. Molecular Detection of Leptospira kirshneri in Tissues of a Prematurely Born Foal. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. Vol. 17, No. 1, 2005.