Amelia G. White, DVM, MS, DACVD
Associate Clinical Professor, Dermatology
Department of Clinical Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
1130 Wire Road
Auburn, AL 36849
MS, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, 2014
DVM, University of Georgia, 2010
Dr. Amelia White received her DVM from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 2010 followed by a one-year internship in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery at Auburn University.
She was accepted to a dermatology residency at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana the following year where she completed three years of specialty training and a Master’s degree in 2014.
Dr. White became a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Dermatology in 2014 and is an Associate Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine. She has authored or contributed to various abstracts, case reports, primary research, and book chapters.
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (2020)
Clinician of the Year Award (2019)
Peter J. Ihrke ACVD Resident Research Award (2018)
Auburn University CVM Creed Award (2017)
ACVD Bayer Resident Research Award (2013)
Allergic skin and ear diseases, infectious dermatoses, and wellness and communication in veterinary medicine.
Publications and Links
- Harbour L, Schick A, Mount R, and White A. Rifampicin treatment of canine multidrug-resistant meticillin-resistant staphylococcal pyoderma: a retrospective study of 51 cases. Veterinary Dermatolog 2022 Aug 9. doi: 10.1111/vde.13105. Online ahead of print.
- White A*. Lick granulomas: a new treatment for a frustrating condition. Clinician’s Brief. November 2021.
- Gibson B and White A*. Phovia™ – The Future of Pyoderma Treatment. DVM360. Advertorial. November 2021.
- White AG.Ϯ Cutaneous adverse drug reactions. VINcyclopedia of Diseases. Veterinary Information Network. Feline. September 2021. https://www.vin.com/doc/?id=7208164&pid=607
- White A*. Nutritional influences in dermatological disorders—connecting the gut to the skin. Veterinary Practice News. August 2021. https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/allergies-august-2021/
- White A*. Canine otitis. Florida Veterinary Medical Association Advocate. June 2021.
- White AG.Ϯ Cutaneous adverse drug reactions. VINcyclopedia of Diseases. Veterinary Information Network. Canine. March 2021. https://www.vin.com/doc/?id=6993509&pid=607
- White A Ϯ. Feline dermatophytosis. Veterinary Focus. 31. Issue 1. Feline Medicine. May 2021.
- Boorman S, White A, Boone L. Presentation, treatment and outcome of aural hematoma in horses: 7 cases (2008-2019). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 258(6):654-660.
- White A Ϯ, Bello B ᴠ, Malmstrom A, Hicks K*, and Starkey L. Peripheral vestibular disease caused by Raillietia auris in a Barzona bull. Vet Rec Case Reports. 2021;e28. https://doi.org/10.1002/vrc2.28
- Hicks K*, Brinker E, Neto R, Smith A, Matz B, and White A Ϯ. Feline exfoliative dermatitis secondary to a thymoma with concurrent paragonimiasis. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2020. Accepted for publication 2021.
- Hicks K*, Yongjun Tan, Wenqi Cao, Terri Hathcock. Dawn Boothe, Robert Kennis, Dapeng Zhang, Xu Wang, and Amelia White Ϯ. Genomic and in vitro pharmacodynamic analysis of rifampicin resistance at clinically relevant concentrations in multidrug-resistant canine Staphylococcus pseudintermedius Vet Dermatol. 2021 Jun;32(3):219-e67.
- Hicks K*, Yongjun Tan, Wenqi Cao, Terri Hathcock. Dawn Boothe, Robert Kennis, Dapeng Zhang, Xu Wang, and Amelia White Ϯ. Clinically relevant plasma concentrations of rifampicin induces resistance in multidrug-resistant canine Staphylococcus intermedius group isolates. Vet Dermatol. 2020. 31(S1):FC-63. Abstract publication.
- White A Ϯ. Feline pruritus. FVMA Advocate. 2020. 5:26-29.
- Pritchard H, Hicks K*, and White A Ϯ. Nodular dermatofibrosis with renal cystadenocarcinoma in a German Shepherd dog. National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America. June/July issue: 32-38.
- Hicks K*, Sandey M, Newcomer BJ , Kennis R, White AG Ϯ. Acquired cutaneous angiomatosis and Chorioptes dermatitis in an adult llama. Vet Rec Case Reports. 2020. 8:e001184.
- White A Ϯ, Smart K ᴠ, Hathcock T, and Wang C. Successful management of cutaneous Paralagenidium karlingii infection in a dog: multifaceted approach using minocycline, mefenoxam, hyperbaric oxygen and surgery. Med Mycol Case Reports. 2020. 29:38-42.
- Mary Ann Taylor, Amber Nicole Neal, Jana Schellinger, Stephanie Ostrowski, Amelia White, Mayra Rodriquez, Andrew Meehan, Elizabeth Tiller. Examining change in student anxiety and depression after the first year of a professional program secondary to perceived stress: a cross-sectional descriptive study. J Med Edu. 2020. 19(4):e103404.
- Wenqi Cao, Karly Hicks*, Amelia White, Terri Hathcock, Robert Kennis, Dawn Boothe, Dapeng Zhang, and Xu Wang. Draft genome assembly of two Staphylococcus pseudintermedius strains isolated from canine skin biopsy. Microbiol Resour Announc. 2020. 9(22):e00369-20.
- Gautier A*, Graff E, Bacek L, Fish E, White A, Palmer L, and Kuo K. Effects of ovariohysterectomy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy on systemic inflammation and oxidation in dogs. Frontiers Vet Sci. 2020. 6(506). 1-11
- Hicks K* and White AG.Ϯ Canine: Nodular dermatofibrosis. VINcyclopedia of Disease. Veterinary Information Network. November 2019. 5 pages. https://www.vin.com/Members/Associate/Associate.plx?from=GetDzInfo&DiseaseId=5987
- Hicks K* and White AG.Ϯ Feline: Proliferative necrotizing otitis externa. VINcyclopedia of Disease. Veterinary Information Network. November 6 pages. https://www.vin.com/Members/Associate/Associate.plx?from=GetDzInfo&DiseaseId=5986
- Hicks K* and White AG.Ϯ Vesicular cutaneous lupus erythematosus. VINcyclopedia of Disease. Veterinary Information Network. October 2019. Address (URL): pending.
- Burke Aᴠ, Kottwitz J, Wang C, and White AϮ. Use of oral fluralaner (Bravecto) to successfully manage adult-onset generalised demodicosis in a silver fox (Vulpes vulpes). Vet Record Case Reports. August 2019;7:e000898. doi:10.1136/vetreccr-2019-000898.
- Hernandez-Bures A ᴠ, White AG, Riordan L. Presumptive iatrogenic hypoadrenocorticism induced by high-dose ketoconazole administration in a dog. J Vet Intern Med. 2019;33(5):2235–2238. doi:10.1111/jvim.15604.
- White AϮ, Hicks Kᴠ, Bizikova P, Bailey J, Linder K, Kennis, R. Probable drug-triggered pemphigus foliaceus in a dog following administration of afoxolaner (NexGard®). Veterinary Record Case Reports. May 2019;7: e000735. doi: 10.1136/vetreccr-2018-000735.
- Ho K*, Conley A, Kennis R, Hathcock T, Boothe D, White A.Ϯ Minimum inhibitory concentration and killing properties of rifampicin against canine Staphylococcus pseudintermedius isolates from dogs in the southeast USA. Vet Dermatol. May 2018. DOI: 10.1111/vde.12653.
- Hathcock T, Kang Y, Liles M, White A, Newton J, Kalalah A, Waits D, and Wang C. Paralagenidium karlingii strain 13914, whole genome shotgun sequencing project. March 2018. PTTM00000000.1
- White AG Ϯ, Santoro D, Ahrens K, and Marsella R. Single blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled study on the effects of ciclosporin on cutaneous barrier function and immunological response in an experimental model of atopic dermatitis in Beagle dogs. Vet Immunol and Immunopathol. March 2018;197:93-101.
- Ho K*, Kennis R, Sandey M, White A.Ϯ Successful medical management of cutaneous Nocardia infection in a dog receiving cyclosporine (Atopica®). Veterinary Record Case Reports. 2017. 5: e000493. doi: 10.1136/vetreccr-2017-000493.
- White AG.Ϯ Flea allergic dermatitis. Feline Associate. Veterinary Information Network. March 2017. Address (URL): http://www.vin.com/Members/Associate/Associate.plx?DiseaseId=5809
- White AG.Ϯ Feline Associate. Veterinary Information Network. March 2017. Address (URL): http://www.vin.com/Members/Associate/Associate.plx?DiseaseId=854
- White AG.Ϯ Flea allergic dermatitis. Canine Associate. Veterinary Information Network. May 2016. Address (URL): http://www.vin.com/Members/Associate/Associate.plx?DiseaseId=5660
- White AG.Ϯ Canine Associate. Veterinary Information Network. May 2016. Address (URL): http://www.vin.com/Members/Associate/Associate.plx?DiseaseId=280
- White AG.Ϯ Cutaneous adverse drug reactions. Canine Associate. Veterinary Information Network. August 2015. http://www.vin.com/Members/Associate/Associate.plx?DiseaseId=357
- Ho K*, Cobiella Dᴠ, Walz H, Kennis RA, White A.Ϯ Cutaneous candidiasis infection in two alpacas. Veterinary Record Case Reports. 2016. doi: 10.1136/vetreccr-2016-000354.
- Gimmler JR*, White AG Ϯ, Kennis RA, Cruz-Espindola C, Boothe DM. Determining canine skin concentrations of terbinafine to guide the treatment of Malassezia Vet Dermatol. 2015 Dec;26(6):411-e96.
- Paul A, White A, and Barger A. Chapter 6: Parasitology. In: Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Techniques for the Veterinary Technician. Barger A. and MacNeill A. 2015:177-225. Wiley. Aimes, Iowa.
- Gimmler J*, White AϮ, and Kennis R. Successful management of cutaneous pythiosis in a dog with subsequent cutaneous vasculitis. Vet Rec Case Rep 2014;2:e000143 doi:10.1136/vetreccr-2014-000143.