Website Panhandle Animal Welfare Society
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of homeless animals? To be part of a team who strives to deliver life-saving treatment opportunity to animals with medical or behavioral needs? Are you up for a challenge? Do you want to take the lead on building a new veterinary clinic from the ground up? If your answer to these questions is “yes,” we want to hear from you! Because PAWS is all about growing and finding new ways to save more animal lives!
Panhandle Animal Welfare Society (PAWS), W.F. Thorne Clinic, based in Fort Walton Beach is expanding and in need of a full-time Veterinarian. Come make a difference in the community, providing high quality medical care to shelter animals. Opportunities for growth and advancement at the new facility opening soon! You will be instrumental in laying the foundation and building our new veterinary clinic from the ground up! Imagine building a brand new clinic and it doesn’t cost you a dime!
PAWS, open admission shelter with a very diverse animal population. Not only will the Veterinary team be responsible for cats and dogs, but all farm animals, goats, rabbits, Guinea pigs, lizards, exotic birds, the range is limitless.
PAWS has been playing a key role in the field of animal care and control in Northwest Florida for over forty-seven years serving over 160,000 residents in Okaloosa County and surrounding communities. Since the opening of W.F. Thorne Clinic in January 1995, the clinic has been an enormous success, sterilizing over 95,000 animals, helping control the overpopulation within our community.
Our mission is to seek to improve animal welfare through programs that educate the public, protect the animals, and provide refuge and medical care to animals in need.
We’re a looking for a full-time Veterinarian:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM or VMD)
- Current license in the State of Florida, current DEA license for controlled substances.
- Malpractice insurance.
- Willingness and ability to work hours necessary for successful organizational operations and care of the 250+ animals on site, including coverage on some weekends, holidays, and evenings.
- Health/Vision/Dental Benefits
- Continuing Education Expenses (up to $500.00 per yr.)
- Paid time off – holidays, sick time, vacation time.
- Being part of a team that is trying to make a difference everyday
- Unlimited puppy kisses and purring kittens!
- Coordinates and directs shelter medical operations and ensures sound veterinary medical practices.
- Leads the evaluation and establishment of shelter medical protocols alongside the Executive Director.
- Continually improves the medical management program and ensures high quality medical care and services.
- Focusing on identification, treatment and prevention of health problems thereby increasing adoptions and decreasing adoption returns.
- Make recommendations and collaborate with the Executive Director in the formation of shelter medical objectives, practices, plans and decisions that influence operations to ensure optimal health.
- Oversees the maintenance of shelter drug and supply inventory while meeting and maintain DEA requirements.
- Actively participates as a member of the management team, attends applicable meetings.
- Fulfills commitments to sponsors and donors as needed, in a manner that supports the needs of the shelter.
- Performs duties in a manner which encourages attainment of goals, contributions and business for the shelter.
- Providing leadership to all personnel
- Maintain effective communication with staff through daily contact, in scheduled meetings, informally or written, as needed to coordinate and direct medical functions of the shelter.
- Supervises shelter veterinary students and interns, ensuring proper training and timely review.
- Provide guidance to staff for situations requiring immediate medical problem solving.
- Participates in interviewing and hiring decisions for the shelter veterinary staff.
- Oversees that appropriate shelter medical personnel are certified in euthanasia.
- Communicates directly with the Executive Director with regard to care of all shelter animals.
- Evaluate and determine the disposition of incoming animals.
- Provides medical services to all shelter animals, including physical examinations, diagnostics, medical rounds, and treatments.
- Ensures appropriate medications is administrated by shelter veterinary staff.
- Performs sterilization surgeries and other surgical procedures as needed.
- Advises, performs or oversees euthanasia performed within the shelter.
- Provides on-call services for shelter animal emergencies.
- Provides professional creditability to JHS’s endeavor to help all domestic pets.
- Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the shelter at risk.
- Maintain appropriate licensing and competes required continuing education courses.
- Adheres to state regulations and organizational protocol regarding animal care, treatment, advocacy, and the mission.
- Ability to work well with frenetic nature of shelter environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven organizational, time management, and planning skills
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a culturally diverse staff, volunteers, and community in a professional, pleasant, and respectful manner.
- Maturity with ability to use good judgment and display a professional manner.
- Good analytical skills and ability to identify and access department issues/opportunities.
- Enjoys problem solving within existing resources; does not rely on additional dollars to resolve problems.
- Track record of fostering a positive work environment.
- Motivated, leadership.
The Panhandle Animal Welfare Society located Fort Walton Beach, Florida. Fort Walton Beach has made the list of the “Top 100 Small Towns in America”. A family-friendly community with an easygoing beach town vibe, sunny weather, emerald green water, great for fishing /boating/swimming and beautiful white sand beaches.
Why Should You Apply?
- Great benefits
- Excellent growth and advancing education opportunities
- Bonus program
- Remote working opportunities
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org